
Hey all! We've been keeping pretty busy here, hence the lack of a post yesterday. :)
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to meet up with some fellow English speakers for coffee talk and a walk. I received a call from Valerie a few days ago (she's one of the women I met at Cafe Aran a few weeks ago) asking me to join her for coffee and a stroll along the lake. I agreed and we set up the meeting place/time. When I met up with her yesterday, she had brought along a few other friends (who also speak English) to join us. There were five of us... two from South Africa, one from Australia, one from North Carolina, and me. It was quite a variety! :) We all ended up taking a walk by the lake, as it was absolutely gorgeous outside, and then we spent a few hours talking over coffee at a little bakery by the lake... It was a very enjoyable afternoon. :)
The women were all very friendly. Three of the women have lived here anywhere for over five years, and Valerie has been here for 8 months, so it was interesting to see their perspective about life here in Germany. It was funny because they all gave the same advice... The first year of living over here is the worst. They said they cried everyday and were extremely homesick. The second year they spent traveling and getting to know the culture, and the third year they decided they didn't want to leave. I then told them that we were only here for two years, and they said that was the perfect amount of time... It gives us enough time to travel and learn the culture, but we still will be excited to return home... I couldn't agree more. :)
I also found out that they all participate in a group called the "Bodensee Players". It's an all English-speaking group that puts on plays and performances twice a year. It also organizes an event once a month (i.e. picnics, hikes, dinner, etc...) for all of the members and their spouses to get together. I thought about joining, considering that it sounds interesting and it would be a really great way to meet people. Here I go again... the social butterfly I tend to be! :) Don't worry though, I won't try to start acting in any of their plays! :) I'd prefer behind the scenes work when it comes to that... :)
Well, I'd better run... I have to continue getting things ready for our trip to London, since we leave tomorrow afternoon... yay!! :) And then I'm off to the grocery store to pick up the ingredients for an onion cake. Maike and I are having our weekly "Girls Night" tonight and we've decided that since it's so rainy and dreary outside today, it's the perfect evening to bake an onion cake and settle in to watch "Sex and the City", which I cannot wait to see!! (Yes, I can thank my wonderful family for that! They sent me a package for my birthday and I was extremely excited to find "Sex and the City: The Movie" inside!! Thank you!! :))
I hope you're all having a great Thursday! Only one more day until the weekend.... :) Miss you much!!


No comments:
Post a Comment