I just got back from "Girl's Night" at Maike's, where we made a pumpkin soup (It was quite tasty, if I do say so myself. :)) and watched Sex and the City... As usual, it was a fun and very laid back evening. :) And, to make it even better, I was able to practice my German... woohoo!
So, I think I'm gradually getting adjusted to how they do things around here... and I'm feeling much more comfortable here. However, the one thing I have yet to figure out is how to ride my bike, or simply take a walk, on the sidewalk without the fear of getting into some type of biker/pedestrian accident! It's crazy! I think I've managed to figure out what side of the sidewalk I should walk on, and what side I should bike on... But, for some reason, I come across people on a daily basis who test my judgement on this matter. Let me give you an example... I rode my bike to the gym today. I was riding along, minding my own business, and riding on the appropriate side of the sidewalk... Well, up ahead I see this woman coming towards me, so I veer towards the right hand side of the sidewalk so that I can get around her (seems like the logical thing to do). Now, I assumed that she would veer towards her right side so that we would simply pass one another... That's where I was wrong! As I veered to the right, she followed me. Now, this means that we're still riding towards each other, head on. I then veer to the left, and the woman proceeds to do the same... Meaning that we're still coming straight at each other! So, I try one more time to veer to the right side in the hopes that she'll wise up and not follow me... No such luck! She veered towards the same direction as me, and we were coming towards each other rather quickly... It was only a matter of seconds before we hit head on! In a last minute effort to avoid a bike accident, I veered further to the right, into the road and into oncoming traffic, where I frantically tried to regain control over my bike so that I didn't get into a bike/car accident. After regaining control of my bike, I stopped on the side of the road and noticed that the woman was just biking on off, with no concern about what had just occurred... Yikes! I was highly ticked off at that point considering that she was the reason that I was in that predicament, and she didn't seem to notice! The thing that makes this most irritating, is that this isn't the first time that something like this has happened... I seem to have this type of problem on a daily basis. If a bike is coming towards me, I try to be polite and veer to the side in order to avoid them... and every time, without fail, the people always follow me! I'm currently very confused about this situation and I'm not quite sure how to appropriately handle it... I'm thinking that from now on, whenever someone is riding towards me, I'll just initiate a game of "Chicken" and hope that they veer out of the way before me! :) Hmmmm... we'll see how that goes... :)
Well, on that note, I have to head to bed... I need to get up early tomorrow to finish packing and run some last-minute errands before we head off to Berlin... yay!! :) I hope you have a great day! Miss you much!


1 comment:
I had a lovely bike accident at MSU where, like you, I veered off to the side to avoid a collision. Well, the dumb girl veered with me and we crashed. Bent the crap out of my tire and I had to walk my bike back to the dorm like an idiot!
-Cindi
Post a Comment