Daisypath Vacation tickers

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Inside the Locker Room...

Hey all!  Well, I just returned from a very brisk bike ride back from the gym...  It's getting quite chilly out lately.  Granted, I could probably drive the car to the gym, but based on my last driving experience, I think I'll stay off the roads for a while. :)  

Now, I've been debating about whether or not I should blog about this particular subject I plan on writing about today... But, after my trip to the gym today, and I saw what I see during every trip to the gym, I decided to go for it!  Let's just say that I've noticed a pretty big difference between our cultures when it comes to the gym... And, to be quite honest, this difference makes me quite uncomfortable... I'm gradually learning that their culture is much more comfortable with themselves and they aren't quite as shy about their bodies like we tend to be in the U.S.  For instance, in the locker rooms, the women tend to just wander about with no clothes... And I've also observed that it seems completely normal to them to have a lengthy conversation with other people in the locker room, while standing in their "birthday suit".  (And, according to Brian, this is the norm in the Men's locker room as well). Let's just say that my first trip to the locker room was quite a shock for me! :)  You see, I'm not quite as comfortable with myself as they seem to be here, so it's quite an uncomfortable situation for me in the locker room! :)  I tend to walk in and go directly to my locker, all the while staring straight ahead... I literally ran into a bench today, as there were a few women standing around and wearing no clothing, so I proceeded to directly at my locker as I was walking towards it,  and I didn't quite see the bench sticking out by my knees... Ouch!!   Now, I realize that this is part of their culture, and I'm not ridiculing them by any means... But, it just makes me really miss being at my old gym in the U.S.... when I could walk into the locker room and know that people would be fully clothed! :)  

And, that's just one of the many differences between our cultures that I've found since moving here... And, there's no doubt in my mind, that we'll find plenty more during our stay here! :) I hope you're having a great day!!  Miss you much! 

No comments: