Daisypath Vacation tickers

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Turkey Day!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you!!  Enjoy spending time with family and friends, and make sure you eat lots of delicious food! :)  

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays.  It's a day that my immediate family has always spent together... and it's also one of the few times during the year, that our entire extended family is able to spend together.  We make a delicious feast and spend the day enjoying each other's company.  Every year, I take the time to look around and soak in the atmosphere, and I always realize how lucky I am to be part of such a wonderful family! :) 

I also love helping in the kitchen on Thanksgiving!  We have the traditional recipes that we make every year, and we each have a recipe that we are in charge of making year after year.... My mom and dad get up early to do the turkey and stuffing, my dad makes his infamous deviled eggs (which my brother will sneak out of the tray throughout the day, until he's eaten every last one! :)), my sister makes the wild rice & broccoli, I typically make the 7-layer salad, we all help in the making of the desserts, veggie trays, and salads, and then Stacy and I typically get stuck making the mashed potatoes (where we always liven things up by adding way too much butter... We both agree that mashed potatoes taste so much better with lots of butter! :)).  During this time, my mom will be hurrying around the house picking things up, cleaning, and making it look festive, and my brother and Brian will typically spend the time watching t.v. in the living room... safely out of the kitchen! :)  The hustle and bustle of the kitchen in preparation for dinner is one of my favorite parts of the day. :) 

It seems strange today, to realize that it's Thanksgiving, and to not be participating in the preparation of dinner... and to not be getting ready to spend the day with our families.  Instead, Brian is working all day, and I'm at home alone...  (This is definitely one of those days where homesickness really sets in!)  However, we do plan on going out to dinner this evening (after our German class) to celebrate Thanksgiving.... It won't be quite the same, but at least Brian and I will be together and celebrating all that we have to be thankful for... which is definitely alot! :)  We really do have so much to be thankful for this year... our wonderful families, great friends, our health, having this opportunity here in Germany, and the list goes on.  Even though we're over here in Germany this year, and they don't observe Thanksgiving here, we can still celebrate it with everyone at home... So, we wish you a very wonderful Thanksgiving Day!  Eat, drink, and be thankful! :)  We're thankful that you're such an important part of our lives!!  We miss you!! 

Oh, and I'd like to leave you with this poem I found... I know it's kind of "cutesy", but I thought it was very fitting... :)  

No comments: