Daisypath Vacation tickers

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Lost in Translation...

Can you believe that it's already Thursday?! I'm amazed at how quickly the week has flown by! Between classes, visitors from the U.S., theatre performances, and the regular day-to-day stuff, I've managed to keep myself quite busy this week.

My German classes are continuing to go well... Only one more week left of the first session... yay! :) I'm actually feeling pretty good about the courses. I really like the fact that I go everyday for a few hours in the morning, as it helps with retaining the information we're learning... Having to apply all of the information learned on an everyday basis is definitely helpful! We covered quite a bit this week... We discussed our favorite hobbies, irregular verbs, we learned how to tell time (the German way), we learned numbers... (You know, I felt so good about myself this week in regards to how much I'm retaining from these German courses, but then I look at what I just typed and I'm suddenly questioning myself as to how I can be so excited about learning numbers and how to tell time?! Wow... I feel like I'm having flashbacks from 3rd Grade! :))

I also have to fill you in on our "entertaining" events from this past Monday. If you recall, I ended my post on Monday by telling you that we were going to head to the Birnau Church for a concert. Now, we were all quite excited about this concert. Kinga and I especially... Not only were we able to dress up (that's not a common occurance here in Germany!), but we were very proud of the fact that we were the ones that found out about the concert and translated the informational poster. Well, the original plan was for the four of us (Brian, Maciej, Kinga, and I) to go to the concert together... However, Brian and Maciej ended up informing some other friends from work about the concert, and they wanted to join us as well.

So, Monday evening rolled around and everyone met at our apartment around 6:30 (we wanted to make sure that we left early enough so that we could be sure to get good seats at the church!)... There were 9 of us so we had to take two cars... We drove the 25 minutes to the church, and throughout the entire ride, I was feeling somewhat nervous about things... I started "second-guessing" my German translation skills... Never a good sign! :) So, as we approached the top of the hill that overlooks the church, we all noticed how dark the church looked... Hmmmm... We decided that it just "looked dark", but it was probably lit up and we'd see that when we arrived... Well, it was a good thought at least... :)

We arrived about five minutes later, and when we pulled into the parking lot, we realized that the church was completely dark and there wasn't anyone in the parking lot... That's definitely not a good sign! :) We got out of the car and tried to open the doors to the church... They were locked! So, let's get this straight... The church was dark, there was noone around, and the doors were locked... That was the point at which we realized that we wouldn't be seeing a concert that evening!

Somehow, unbeknownst to us, Kinga and I managed to misinterpret the informational poster... Lovely! (Guess my classes aren't going so well after all! :)) Can I just tell you what a complete jackass I felt like at that point in time?! We had gotten everyone all dressed up and brought them out on a Monday evening to go to a concert that never existed... Nice! :) And, let's just say that the Germans we brought along with us, found the whole situation quite entertaining... Needless to say, I won't be living this one down for a while! But, even after all of that, Kinga and I are still determined that we read the sign correctly and the concert was just "cancelled"... :) Hey, that's our story and we're sticking to it! :)

Outside of that slight "misunderstanding", the rest of the week has gone by rather smoothly... :) I actually just returned from the theatre, where I watched a dance performance this evening with Alex and Eva... It was a great performance! We're now planning our next trip to the theatre to go see the Hubbard Street Dance Company of Chicago when they come here in November... Definitely looking forward to that!

And, with that said, I think it's time for me to head to bed. Gotta get up early in the morning for class... Fun, fun! Have a great Thursday! Miss you much!

No comments: