Daisypath Vacation tickers

Monday, October 12, 2009

An Effortless Trip to the Rathaus... Whew!!!

When I left off last Wednesday, I informed you that I was headed to the Rathaus (City Hall) on Thursday so see if they would change my "no-work" visa into a "working" visa... And, I'm sure you all remember how nervous I was about heading back in there... Well, it must have been my lucky day, or it was all of the positive thoughts that everyone was thinking for me, or it was the charming personality of my translator (Eva)... Whatever the case was, the trip to the Rathaus went flawlessly! Yay! It was actually the shortest, easiest trip that I've ever experienced there... Quite impressive!

I do have to admit that it was quite humorous going back in there again... To begin with, Eva and I were waited on by the woman who I had to talk to a few times about my previous visa woes... Let's just say she remembered me! After Eva explained why we were there, the woman went to the filing cabinet and took out my file... Upon seeing the size of the file (it's quite thick to say the least! :)), Eva explained that she couldn't believe how big it was... Nice! She then informed me that she doesn't even have a file in Germany... Great! :) When Eva commented on the size of the file, the woman helping us started to chuckle... She was probably remembering dealing with me and all of my emotional outbursts that I've had in there. :)

Thankfully, the process of changing my visa wasn't too difficult... The woman typed something into the computer and then printed out another sticker, which she placed in my passport... She then handed it to Eva and I and then began explaining it. At that point, Eva noticed that a word was spelled incorrectly, so she pointed it out to the woman. The woman, in turn, looked a little confused. And, based on all of my prior experiences there, I began to get a little concerned... My only thought was, "Oh brother... Not again!" :)

The woman quickly got up and began asking her coworkers what she should do... They informed her that she couldn't print off a new sticker to place in my passport... Doing so would apparently have "invalidated" my visa and passport... Lovely! Upon hearing that, I started laughing, which caused both Eva and the woman to look at me like I was some type of nutcase! I tried to explain that the situation was fitting for me and all that I've been through with my visa... I mean, seriously... The whole visa situation has been chaos... I couldn't make a story like that up even if I tried! :)

Fortunately, after asking around for a few more minutes, the woman returned to her desk and explained that she was simply going to cross the word out and reprint it underneath... After doing that, she stamped it with the official Friedrichshafen stamp and said that it was official... She then informed Eva and I that she didn't want to do anything that would invalidate my passport, as she realized how much trouble I've already had with it, and she didn't want to cause me anymore... How nice! :) So, after all of that, I finally walked out of the Rathaus with my new visa (which allows me to work) in hand, and a smile on my face (which has never happened before...normally I'm in tears! :) Overall, it was a good trip to the Rathaus... yippee! :)

After that, Brian and I informed his boss that my visa was taken care of and we scheduled a meeting with him for this Tuesday... I have to meet with him and we'll discuss my plans for teaching "Conversational English" to his department... How exciting! I'll keep you posted on how everything goes...

The rest of the weekend was pretty low key... We went to dinner on Friday night with Kinga and Maciej, we spent Saturday at the gym and running errands, and on Sunday we strolled around Ravensburg, ran into some friends there and had some coffee, and then went to a Mexican restaurant for dinner (where we were able to get some guacamole, which we've been craving!!)... Yum!! All in all, it was quite a relaxing weekend...

Well, I'd better get going... Time to head to the gym and then get ready for a concert tonight. The church of Birnau is having a concert tonight, and a group of us is heading there to check it out... (Mom, I promise to try to get some pictures/video for you... This is like the concert we wanted to see while you and Dad were here visiting... I'll be thinking of you while we're there! :))... I guess this is the week of culture for me... I'm going to the concert tonight and then I was invited to a dance performance on Thursday... How exciting! :)

Hope you're having a great Monday! Miss you much!

No comments: