Yesterday was a gorgeous October day! The sun was shining, the temperature was in the upper 50's, the leaves are in the middle of their color change and the colors were absolutely vibrant... All in all, it was the perfect day to spend outside and soak up one of the last remaining autumn days, before winter starts to set in. So, my friend, Theresa, and I decided to take advantage of the beautiful day and we headed over to Singen to do some hiking.
Our hike consisted of hiking up one inactive volcano to check out the remains of the Hohenkrahen Castle (unfortunately, the entrance was closed due to a mudslide earlier in the year...). We then hiked down and across to another inactive volcano, which we hiked up to see the ruins of the Magdeburg Castle. We then spent some time wandering around the ruins before we headed back down.
One of the many things I love about living over here, is that it's so easy to find ruins of old castles! It's just amazing to me, being the history buff that I am, to be able to walk through the ruins of castles that have existed for thousands of years! Everytime I'm in a castle ruin, I feel like a little kid in a candy store, running around and checking out every nook and cranny I can find! :) And that's exactly what Theresa and I spent the afternoon doing yesterday... And we had such a great time! :)
On that note, I have to run... I'm off to meet some friends for lunch. Here are a few photos from yesterday's hike... Enjoy!

We came across this cute little guy at the beginning of our hike. He had managed to sneak under the fence and he was grazing along the trail. How cute! :)

Theresa trying to get some apples out of the tree. Shortly after I snapped this picture, the farmer yelled at us, so we quickly got out of there! Oops! :)

On our way up to the first castle... Ruine Hohenkrahen...

This was at the entrance to the ruin... I love the carved wooden bench on the right! :) Unfortunately, this was as far as we were able to go due to the fact that it was closed because of the mudslide...

The 2nd volcano we climbed up... You can see another inactive volcano in the distance. Singen has about five inactive volcanoes dotting the landscape... Pretty interesting!

A view of the 1st one we climbed up...

Inside the ruins of Magdeburg Castle...



Theresa and I with the castle wall behind us...

Inside the castle walls... And, yes, that is a campfire pit in the picture. I found it interesting that they allow people to camp up there whenever they'd like... It definitely gave me some ideas... Hmmm, Brian and I just might have to try our hand at camping up there! :)

A rapeseed field... These bright yellow flowers produce a type of oil that can be used in the production of vegetable oil for human consumption, as well as in the production of biodiesel.

We made a new friend during our hike... How cute!

The village of Muhlhausen, Germany...

The colors were absolutely gorgeous yesterday!! What a perfect autumn day! :)


No comments:
Post a Comment