Well, today was the end of the 2 weeks. So, this morning, Brian, Norbert, and I all showed up at the Rathaus, with paperwork in hand. I was feeling pretty confident about the whole situation considering that I had all the paperwork filled out and I thought it was going to be a pretty smooth process... WRONG!! Let's just say, nothing can be considered a "smooth process" when you're dealing with the Rathaus here! When our number was called, we went to our designated station and sat down. I pulled out all of the paperwork and handed it to the woman, while Norbert explained the situation. The woman then looked over the paperwork, nodded her head a few times, chatted away in German with Norbert, and then wrote something down on a piece of paper. In the meantime, Brian and I sat there, with no idea as to what was taking place... That's always irritating. Knowing that people are talking and making decisions about your life, and you have no say in the conversation... Lovely! Well, after a few minutes, Norbert translated to us what was happening. The woman was requesting ADDITIONAL information from us... Seriously, people?! Apparently, now they need Brian to submit an updated letter from his company saying that he's still employed with them, pay stubs from the past 3 months, and the contract for the apartment... Now, the best part being that all of these things are on file for Brian. BUT, since the file was created in July of 2008, and it's now March of 2009, they need all of it updated for the new year... And this wasn't told to us before now, why??? So, apparently they need to look at all of Brian's employment information to ensure that I'm not trying to live off of the German government... Hello! I'm American... I don't want to live off of the government here, as I've got my own perfectly good government back in the U.S.!! And to top all of this off, the woman also informed us that we need to bring back another copy of our marriage certificate (oh yes, the marriage certificate is STILL in question!), and Brian has to return to the Rathaus with me (even though he was there with me today, and the time before that, and the time before that... but apparently that doesn't count...) on the day that I turn in all of the paperwork, so that he can... get this... vouch that I am actually his wife... NICE! And then, once we get all of that turned in, according to her, the paperwork will begin to be processed. However, I'll believe that when I see it. Now can you see why I didn't want to have to wait 8 weeks to apply for this again??? I think snails move faster than they do!
So, the plan is to head back there on Friday morning to turn in the rest of the paperwork. On the bright side, I was ensured that once all of the paperwork is turned in, I will then be allowed to travel outside of Germany. (My current visa is only good for one trip into Germany... So, as it stands now, I can't leave the country, otherwise they won't let me back in.... Hmmmm... On second thought, is that such a bad idea after all?! :) Just kidding! :)) Now, let's just keep our fingers crossed and hope that everything goes well on Friday... Otherwise, if I have to go back there again and find out that they require additional information, I could quite possibly spontaneously combust! :)
On a good note... I went to the library today, and I now have a library card for the Friedrichshafen Media Center/Bibliothek... yay! My reading materials were getting slightly limited here... Now, I can look forward to browsing through and reading all of the books from the English section of the library! :) I also found a selection of books today, to help me with planning our upcoming summer vacation... yippee! Yep, that's right, we're planning a 3-week vacation at the end of May to... are you ready for this... Italy and Croatia!! I'm soooo very excited! :) So, that's my assignment for the time being... plan a fabulous summer vacation getaway! I'm pretty sure that I can handle that! :)
Well, I'm off to take a walk down by the lake, on this gorgeous sunny day, with one of my new library books in hand... I know, I know... It's a rough life! :) And, then we'll be off for some rock climbing once Brian gets home from work... Fun, fun! I hope you're having a fabulous day! Miss you much!


3 comments:
I do not mean to laugh but your visa situation just gets more funny (and ridiculous.)
Oh, I couldn't agree with you more! :)
It is like the people in that office get together and think about more ways to complicate the process! Hope you work it out...eventually!
-Cindi
Post a Comment