Daisypath Vacation tickers

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

"The Natives Are Getting Feisty!"

This past weekend was packed full of fun events, and it managed to fly by very quickly! Friday evening was spent at the theatre where I did hair/make up for the current performance my English speaking theatre group is putting on, Saturday was filled with a little Harry Potter magic and a tasty dinner at Spicy Grill, and on Sunday we headed to Stuttgart to catch a soccer game... Overall, it was a very fun-filled weekend with great friends! :) And, here's a few pictures to prove it... Enjoy! :)

We were super excited to find out that Harry Potter was being released in English here! So, we gathered a group of fellow English speakers (and a couple of Germans too! :)) and headed to the theater on Saturday evening to catch the 7th installment of Harry Potter! And, we were definitely not disappointed, as the movie was fantastic! :) Following the movie, we headed over to Spicy Grill for a good ole' American style meal... Yum! :) Also, I think that I can safely say, that the four of us in this picture might possibly be the biggest Harry Potter geeks out of the group... Hence the reason we're the ones posing by the sign! :)

Bright and early Sunday morning, we headed to Stuttgart on the train...

Can't wait to watch our first soccer game!! :)

An old-fashioned train we passed on the way to Stuttgart... Pretty cool!

We arrived in Stuttgart a couple of hours before the game, so we headed out to find a place to eat lunch... We ended up finding a most untraditional place for lunch... Instead of doing the typical lunch of wurst with bier before a soccer game, we opted for green tea and pad thai from a local Thai restaurant... YUM!! :) I was definitely loving the green tea! :)

Look at that presentation! Definitely better than bier and brats!! :)

Heading into the stadium...


Let the fussball spielen begin! :)

Brian and Benjamin were really into the game! :)
(Or, at least Benjamin was! :))




I think my favorite part of the game was all of the angry fans! Stuttgart ended up losing, so there were some very upset Germans in the stands! And, I was amazed at how feisty they were getting! One guy in front of us was flipping off all the players when the messed up... Too funny! Another couple of fans from the opposing team were in our section, and when their team scored they got up to cheer, and almost got attacked by a Stuttgart fan two rows in front of them! And, I honestly don't think I've ever heard my favorite German word (scheisse) spoken so many times in one place... It was hilarious!! :) The excitement was quite intense, and at one point, I even started to join in and cheer with the rest of the fans (you know the saying, "When in Rome...")... That is until I got yelled at by a very irate German behind me... Ooops! :) Needless to say, I think we've got the culture figured out by now... During Fasching and Oktoberfest, the Germans use that time to relax and let lose, and during soccer games the opposite is to be had... That's where they let all their anger out! :) Either way, after that experience, Brian and I are definitely up for another soccer game before we move back to the U.S.! :)

The 4 of us...
3 Americans and our "token" German! :)

Game over! The score: Stuttgart - 0, Cologne - 1

By the time we headed home on the train, we were getting a little hungry... So, on our transfer in Ulm, we opted for a more "traditional" meal for our dinner... So, Pizza Hut and Becks it was! :) After a day filled with Europe's favorite sport, how much more American could we possibly get when it came to our choice of food?! :)

No comments: