Well, it looks as if the holiday season is upon us... The Christmas trees are scattered in store windows throughout the city, the lights are hung in the streets, the houses are beginning to be festooned with lights and Christmas decorations, and the Christmas Markets are officially open for business... yay!
I can honestly say, that one of my favorite parts about living in Germany are the Christmas Markets! I love them, and I can't seem to get enough of them! Unlike holiday shopping in the U.S. (mobbed malls, packed parking lots, people pushing and shoving, the many headaches, trying to find the best deal, and the many other stresses that come with Christmas shopping and trying to find that "perfect" gift), the Christmas Markets here are much less stressful. It isn't like the hustle and bustle you find at home. The many stands and booths are filled with holiday goodies, there's usually a band or performance group playing Christmas music, the smell of traditional German cuisine wafts through the air, the chestnut stands are on every corner, and the mugs of Gluhwein help to keep you warm as you walk around in the cold. Now, I'm not sure that everyone feels the same as I do about Christmas Markets, but to me they help to get me excited for Christmas... You can feel the excitement in the air... And it's not an "over commercialized excitement" such as we have in the U.S. It feels genuine over here... They seem to enjoy the holidays, not for the stress of finding the perfect present, but because they get to spend time with loved ones... And isn't that what Christmas is all about? :)
So, anyways, last weekend, we went to our first Christmas Market of the season in Ravensburg. Ravensburg is one of the first Markets to open in this area... We enjoyed an afternoon of wandering through the market, shopping for holiday goodies, taking pictures, drinking Gluhwein, and spending time with friends... It definitely helped to get us into the holiday spirit! :) Now, I can't wait for all of the other Christmas Markets to open up this week... How many will I be able to attend this year?? :)


The Christmas Market at night...

Look at all the reindeer! :)

Becky and I enjoyed shopping for our nephews... :) We couldn't stop admiring all of the handmade wooden toys!

Maciej and Becky purchasing some chestnuts... Yum! :)

The hand-carved wooden Nativity scene... Gorgeous!!

And you can't go to a Christmas Market without having a mug of Gluhwein!! :)

A band performing Christmas music...

One of the many stands selling homemade holiday goodies...


This man was hand carving all of the items sold in his shop... Pretty impressive!

Ravensburg Christmas Market...

The Lebkuchen Hut...


3 comments:
I can't wait to go back just for the Christmas Markts. Looks so interesting and fun.
Hi Rhonalala! Thanks for the comment! :) When you do get back to Germany, I really hope you get the opportunity to go to a few Christmas Markets!! They give you such a feel for the German culture, and they're just so much fun to wander through... And the Gluhwein is a definite perk as well! :) They're such a refreshing break from what we typically experience during the holidays in North America... I'll keep my fingers crossed that you're wish to return to Germany to live comes true. :) Thanks for reading!
I've never seen a Christmas market, except what you share, but I am so with you. It sounds perfect! I love Christmas time!
Post a Comment