Last week I had the opportunity to spend a few days in Nuremberg and Rothenburg with my friend, Katrina, and her family. We had such a fun time, and it definitely put all of us in the Christmas spirit! :) Both cities are known for their Christmas Markets... Nuremberg is considered to be one of the largest in Germany, and Rothenburg is a medieval city that is known as the "Christmas City" here in Germany (imagine Frankenmuth, but much, much older! :)).
Now, at this point, I could go on and on, describing in detail all of the sights and sounds we experienced at the two markets... But, instead, I think I'll let the pictures "speak" for themselves. :) Enjoy!

A Nuremberg Cathedral... Stunning! :)

The home of the Christkind... She is the spokesperson for the Nuremberg Christmas Market...

I'd have to say that my favorite part of the Nuremberg Christmas Market, by far, was the Kinder Weihnacht (Children's Christmas Market)... It was so cute! It had a carousel, a mini ferris wheel, a miniature train for the kids to ride, all sorts of Christmas stands for kids, a Playmobil house where the kids could play with Playmobil products... It was so fun! :)

The miniature ferris wheel for children...

The carousel in the Children's Market...

This was part of the Craftsmen Market... Most of the items sold here were handmade...

They're making Lebkuchen! Lebkuchen is a very traditional cookie (similar to gingerbread) for the holidays, and Nuremberg is one of the most famous producers of this cookie...

Of course, a Christmas Market wouldn't be complete without the many stands of Gluhwein and Feuerzangenbowle! :)

Pyramids... These are a very traditional German holiday decoration...


Heart shaped waffles... Very popular at the Nuremberg Christmas Market! :)

Look at all the cookies! Although, these cookies are not for eating... They're made as decorations.

Puzzles galore!!


Nuremberg is known for their Nurembergers... 3 small Nuremberg bratwurste on a roll...

Let's just say, these stands were everywhere! :)

A little Lebkuchen stand... Very cute!


Nuremberg at night...

Look what I found, Stacy! :) These are the infamous "Chocolate Kisses" which Stacy and I first experienced this summer... Delicious!! :) Thankfully, they're rather hard to come by! :) They can typically be found at summer festivals, Oktoberfest, and Christmas Markets...

This one's for you, Stacy! :)

More pyramids... You can find these everywhere!

The infamous Kathe Wohlfahrt store in Rothenburg... This is a well known chain of stores throughout Germany, that sells Christmas related items... Such fun to shop in!


Downtown Rothenburg...

Rothenburg at night...

Our hotel in Rothenburg...

The lobby of our hotel... It was such a cute, quaint little place. :)


We took the "Night Watchman Tour" while in Rothenburg... The city used to be guarded by night watchmen, which walked around the city throughout the night protecting the citizens... The tour gives you a guided walk through the city... Very fun! :)

Rothenburg at night... It was so pretty and Christmasy (is that even a word?! :))

The old entrance to the city...

Outside of the city walls...


These are snowballs... A traditional Rothenburg holiday treat. They are made by deep frying what looks like a pie crust, and then covering them in all types of flavors... Let's just say that they're probably not the healthiest treat! :) I had a small portion of one, and I have to say that I probably won't be craving one anytime soon... Unlike the Chocolate Kisses! :)

I love all the nutcrackers here! All of them are handmade and absolutely gorgeous!!

That's right... Not only do they sell Gluhwein and Feuerzangenbowle, but they also have their own Christkindlesmarkt Bier... Nice! :)


A lantern stand at the Rothenburg Christmas Market...


Loved this one! :)

A very German Christmas decor


And, here was my present from the Christmas Market... As many of you know, I love Nutcrackers (I think it's a result of so many years of dance, and the "Nutcracker" being one of my favorite ballets! :))... And now I have my very own, hand-crafted German Nutcracker... Isn't he gorgeous?! :) I saw him at last year's market, but opted not to buy him at that time. Needless to say, I regretted not getting him... So, I went back to the market this year, with full intentions of buying him... However, I went into all of the Christmas stores in Nuremberg and could not find him anywhere! :( I then headed to Rothenburg and looked at all of the stores there... Still no luck! Finally, on our last day in Rothenburg, I walked into the one of the last Christmas stores which could potentially have Nutcrackers... And there he was! :) I like to think that it was simply meant to be! :)


1 comment:
The Children's Xmas market in Nürnberg was my favorite too. I found the main one to be pretty terrible and too much like Oktoberfest to be honest. Small is good in my book.
Post a Comment