Daisypath Vacation tickers

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Seehasenfest '09

Hey all! I know, I know... I've been MAJORLY slacking in regards to blogging lately!! Please accept my apologies... But, in my defense, things have been rather busy here in recent weeks, making it very difficult to blog on a regular basis... I promise to get better about posting things though... Just please continue to be patient with me... Don't give up on me just yet! :)

Ok, so I'm going to backtrack a little... Based on the fact that I've been so busy, I've missed a couple of events that I wanted to blog about... The first one being Seehasenfest. Seehasenfest is an annual festival that takes place here in Friedrichshafen. It originated after WWII as a way of giving the children of Friedrichshafen a couple of days of "fun and enjoyment" during the time of reconstruction (Just to clarify... Friedrichshafen was almost completely destroyed during the second World War...). Since then the Seehasenfest has developed into a 5 day festival, complete with rides, games, food, cultural events, beer tents, parades, and even a "seehase" (lake rabbit) that hands out goodie bags upon his arrival to all of the children in the city. It's quite the event! :)

While Stacy was here, we decided to check the festival out. We were definitely impressed! The festival was quite different from what you typically find in the U.S. The rides were very clean, everything was laid out very well, the food was delicious, and the beer tents (yes, I wrote beer "tents".... There were at least a dozen set up... And each of them had a live band inside!) proved to be very fun! :) We definitely learned that when the Germans put on a festival, they really go all out! :) Needless to say, Stacy and I really enjoyed ourselves at the Seehasenfest... :)

On Sunday (after Stacy left), I headed down to the grand parade. I have to say, that it was probably the best parade I've ever seen! The parade consisted of every child in the area. That's right... Every child that lives in the Friedrichshafen area and attends the schools, marches in the parade. Each grade level has a certain theme and all of the children dress according to their "theme"... There were children dressed up as strawberries, cherries, fishermen, flowers, etc... It was absolutely adorable to watch!! The kids appeared very excited to be walking in the parade. They all had huge smiles and were waving like crazy at the spectators. Everyone looked like they were having a great time! :) It was so fun to stand there and watch them... You couldn't help but to smile. :)

Overall, I was quite impressed with the Seehasenfest! I look forward to going back next year! :)


Seehasenbier... Quite tasty if I do say so myself! :)

Stacy and I trying some Seehasenbier...

This was Stacy and I after a couple Seehasenbiers... I think we thought we were German! :)

The "Seehase"... The lake rabbit that is the symbol of Seehasenfest...





These were my favorite... The bouncing frogs! :)




No comments: