Daisypath Vacation tickers

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Ulm and Strasbourg...

The last few days of my parents' trip were spent in the cities of Ulm, Germany and Strasbourg, France. Ulm is a city that is located about an hour and a half from where we live. This was actually my first trip to Ulm as well, and I have to say, it was a quite a nice city! Ulm is actually known for being the birthplace of Albert Einstein... Pretty cool! The biggest attraction in Ulm is the Ulmer Munster. It is a large gothic church located in the middle of the city. It is considered to be the tallest church in the world, with a steeple that measures 530 feet! You can walk to the top of the steeple... There are only 768 steps to hike up in order to get there! :) Dad and I actually made the journey to the top... We didn't quite make it all the way to the top, but we made it the majority of the way up... And the view of the city was pretty impressive! It was definitely worth the trip!

Ulm is also known for its Fischerviertel (fishermen's quarter), which is located on the River Blau. It consists of half-timbered houses, cobblestone streets, and little footbridges that cross back and forth across the river. It's such a picturesque area! :) The most interesting thing to see (in my opinion) in the Fischerviertel is the Schiefes Haus (crooked house). It's a house that was built in the 16th century (it is now used as a hotel) and it is literally crooked... The walls are uneven and all of the lines of the house are uneven... It's pretty funny looking! :)

Mom, Dad, and I also took a walk along the remaining section of the city wall that runs along the river. It was such a pretty view of the city! There was actually quite a bit to see there, but unfortunately we ran out of time and had to head back to Friedrichshafen. However, I do intend to go back and discover more of the city! :)

The following day we took a trip to Strasbourg, France. I showed Mom and Dad the Cathedral de Notre Dame and we wandered through the city. Strasbourg is such a charming French city... Between the huge Gothic Cathedral and the medieval buildings surrounding the cathedral and the small squares and streets that make up the city... You can't help but to fall in love with it! :) While we were there, we hopped on a small tram that took us on a tour of the city... Very fun! The tour was interesting in that it gave a great deal of history about the city. For me, the most exciting part of the day was when Mom and I ordered ourselves a Nutella filled crepe... YUM! :) I've been to the city of Strasbourg a number of times, and everytime I have wanted to order a crepe, but I just haven't... So, this time around I finally did... And, boy am I happy that I did! :)

The final evening of mom and dad's visit was spent in downtown Friedrichshafen. We ate at T. Trulli (very yummy German food!), watched the sunset over the lake as we walked along the lakefront, and then had some delicious eis (ice cream) from the best Eis shop in town! :) Overall, it was a perfect evening! :) It was definitely hard to say goodbye the following morning... :( But, on the bright side, I'm now looking forward and making plans for their next visit to Germany... How fun! :)

Ulmer Munster... The tallest church in the world!


The side doors...

Standing at the side of the building looking up... Look how tall it is!!


Inside the Ulmer Munster...

The ceiling of the church...



The view of the city of Ulm from about 3/4 of the way to the top...

This is the small staircase you walk up to get to the steeple (about 150 steps)... Very tiny!

Another view of Ulm... It's a very pretty city...

Mom and Dad in front of Ulmer Munster...

We stopped for dinner at a small outdoor cafe located next to the church... Great company, great food, great view! :)

The Fischerviertel (Fishermen's Quarter)... Love the cobblestone streets!! :)

Mom and Dad with Ulm in the background... This was taken as we walked along the city walls... You can see the steeple of Ulmer Munster in the background...

Shiefes Haus (the Crooked House)...

The Rathaus (government building)...

A building in Strasbourg, France...

Strasbourg, France...

Thought this was a unique looking fountain that we came across as we were wandering around in Strasbourg...

Dad lighting a candle at the Cathedral de Notre Dame in Strasbourg...

Mom lighting a candle at the Cathedral....



Mom and I with our Nutella crepe... YUM!! :)

The half-timbered houses that make up Strasbourg...

The old fortress in Strasbourg...

A view of Strasbourg from our Tram tour...

A small side street in Strasbourg...

That's us eating dinner at a little French outdoor cafe... The flammkuchen was delicious!! :)
(Just an FYI... I was swatting a bee away as the man took this picture... That's one of the reasons I look so goofy in it! :))

Another side street in Strasbourg...

Our drive back from Strasbourg took us through the mountains... So, of course, we stopped on the side of the road to take advantage of the photo op.! :)


Brian and I at T. Trulli for Mom and Dad's last dinner in Germany...

Mom, Dad, and I at dinner... We were all drinking Radler that evening... It's a combination of lemonade and crystal hefeweizen... A very German taste of summer! :)

After dinner, we strolled along the lakefront and took in the sunset in Friedrichshafen... Gorgeous!

Mom and Dad's plane as it headed back to the U.S.... :(

No comments: