Daisypath Vacation tickers

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Konstanz

Hey all! How's your Wednesday going so far? Sorry that I wasn't able to write anything yesterday... I received a call from Alex on Monday night asking if I wanted to go to Konstanz with her yesterday... And of course I said yes. :) (In case you're wondering, Alex is the girl I met when I went for coffee with Eva a few weeks ago.) She's new to this area too, so she wanted to go check out Konstanz and she thought of me. She remembered me talking about how Brian and I tried to go there, but we got stuck on a boat tour of the lake instead... :)

So, anyways, we left early in the morning yesterday and headed over to Konstanz. This time I purchased the correct ticket and got on the right Katamarran... I'm making progress! :) On the ride over, we got a little nervous because it looked like rain, and neither of us brought umbrellas. But, we managed to get lucky and it didn't rain... it was just very chilly (in the low 40's) and gray all day.

When we arrived in Konstanz, we began wandering around the older part of the city. It was gorgeous... The buildings are old and full of so much history, and the streets are all cobblestone... It reminded me of the pictures you see in books of the quaint little European towns, and I realized how fortunate I was to be able to walk through the city and see everything first hand, rather than viewing it in a book. It's definitely quite an experience. :) Alex and I spent a couple hours just walking into all of the little shops and looking around. We then had lunch at a little cafe by the lake, and then we decided to get a look at the rest of the city. So, we hopped on a bus and it took us on a tour of the whole city. It was pretty interesting... We drove through many small neighborhoods and everything was so Bavarian... every house had shutters on the windows, there were flower boxes attached to each window, the structure of the houses was very similar, etc. As we were driving through the neighborhoods, it honestly reminded me of going to Epcot Center when I was younger and visiting the European/Bavaria section... I know, it sounds kind of silly, but it really did remind me of that. :)

The final bus stop was at the University of Konstanz. We decided to get off the bus there and take a look at the campus. It was a very unique campus... definitely doesn't compare to Michigan State by any means. :) The buildings were very modern and very plain, and there wasn't much of a campus... Let's just say that it was completely different and had a different vibe than any of the college campuses you would find in the U.S.

After our stop at the University of Konstanz, we decided to head back downtown, so that we could catch the Katamarran... When we got to the dock, we tried to board the boat, but they wouldn't let us... Apparently a man had had a heart attack on the way over and they were trying to get him off the boat... The worst part was that right before we found that out, I had commented on the ambulance that was sitting off to the side, and I said that I wanted to take a picture of it because it looks different than ambulances in the U.S.... I told Alex I wanted to put the picture on my blog... How guilty did I feel after we found out about the man and then we watched them wheel him out on a stretcher and he was completely blue?! Very sad... At that point we simply decided to just take a different Katamarran back to Friedrichshafen.

Overall, it was a pretty fun trip to Konstanz. Alex was great to hang out with... We found out that we had quite a bit in common. We both realized how we're in very similar situations... We're both new to the area, our significant others work together at the same company, and the two of us have alot of time on our hands (she's still searching for a job here)... :) We decided that we'd try to take trips together more often so that we can learn a little more about the area... At least this way, we'll have someone to travel with, instead of always being on our own. :)


A view of downtown Konstanz... I still can't get over the amount of bikes around here!

Notice the artwork on the side of the building...


A view of the lake behind me... This was taken before we left to head back to Friedrichshafen...

Oh, Monday night's dinner with Brian's coworkers went very well. I was the only female and the guys all proceeded to discuss work and engineering related things... However, I didn't mind one bit... All I knew was that I was able to understand everything that they were saying and that made me very happy! :)

On another good note, I received a call from the cable company on Monday... Granted, they called and I missed the call, so they left a voicemail in German... Lovely! So, I had to walk over to Maike's house and have her listen to the voicemail and then relay it back to me. She ended up calling them back and they scheduled an appointment for Friday to come to our apartment and hook up our phone line/internet... So, let's keep our fingers crossed that they keep their word and show up... How nice would that be?! :) And, I do have to say, I don't know what I would do without having Maike around to help translate for me... She's great! :)

Well, I have to run... My computer is about to die and, unfortunately, I don't have my adapter to plug it in today... I hope you're all doing well. Miss you much!



No comments: