Daisypath Vacation tickers

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Holy Guacamole!!

As many of you already know, Brian and I have a slight addiction to guacamole... :)  We literally used to make it on a daily basis, and we would eat it with pretty much everything.  Sometimes, we would simply make a batch up and consider it our dinner... We do love our guacamole!! :)  

However, since moving here, Brian and I have gone through guacamole withdrawals.  The guacamole here simply does not taste the same as the guacamole we make in the U.S.  We have spent months searching for avocados that taste like the ones found in the U.S.... You see, the majority of the avocados found in the U.S. are called Haas avocados and they're typically from either Mexico or California... Over here, the avocados are shipped from Israel...  And, let me tell you, they do not taste anything like the avocados we eat in the U.S.!!  And believe me, we've tried ALOT of them!! :)  Since we moved here, we've sampled avocados from virtually every store within the area...  And each time, we were met with disappointment.  We've even tried the guacamole they sell in jars... And, still, we had no luck...  That is, until yesterday...

Yesterday, I was at our local market.  As usual, as soon as I walked into the produce department, I headed directly to the avocados, in the hopes of finding some from Mexico/California.  And, as usual, they weren't. :)  However, another avocado caught my eye.  It was called a "Bio" avocado (that's what they consider natural products here), and it looked awfully similar to the avocados we have back home.  I picked it up and felt it, and it was actually soft to the touch... Unlike the avocados you find here, which are hard as a rock!  At that point, I was quite excited with my find, so I picked up two of them, bagged them up, and went on my merry little way (this time with a little more spring in my step! :)).    

I showed my purchase to Brian after he got home last night, and we decided to try them out.  As I began peeling them, I noticed that they peeled very much like the ones we have at home.  (And I've peeled my fair share of avocados! :))  By now, I could feel the excitement building... But, I didn't want to get my hopes up just yet.  So, I proceeded to mash them up and then I added the flavoring.  I then called Brian out to the kitchen to be the guinea pig... :)  He took his first bite, and chewed it thoughtfully...  In the meantime, I was bouncing up and down with anticipation.  He finally looked at me, with a huge smile on his face, and told me that it was a winner!!  Yay!!  :)  Needless to say, we inhaled that bowl of guacamole in about 5 minutes flat!!  It was so very tasty!!  It's not quite the same as what we make in the U.S., but it will definitely suffice!

So there you have it, I can officially say, that after months of searching, I have found avocados that taste remotely similar to the ones you find in the U.S... Brian and I can now indulge in our guacamole habit once again...  Life is good! :)   

No comments: