Daisypath Vacation tickers

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Food Supplies - Check...

Hey all!  I'm managing to keep myself quite busy today, with getting ready for our upcoming trip.  I think I have all of the food supplies ready for the camping portion, so now I just have to get the camping supplies ready, get all of our laundry finished and packed up, try to find some camping chairs, and get all of the other last minute details worked out... Fun, fun!  However, I have to admit, that I think the most difficult part of the packing is finished... the food.  Ugh!   That was a feat in itself! :)

Usually when we go camping in the U.S., we simply head to REI and get some pre-packaged food and energy bars.  We then go to Costco and pick up the huge bags of trail mix, cereal, and bread.  Afterwards, we pick up the remaining essentials at the local Kroger store...  Piece of cake, and I can usually get it all finished within a couple of hours.  Let's just say it's not quite that easy here...

For one, I have yet to find stores like Costco or REI in Germany... All of the stores here are small markets or there's the occasional supermarket.  So, needless to say, buying our food supplies wasn't as easy as I had anticipated.   I have now been into all of the grocery stores within this area.  In buying food for the camping portion of our trip, I had to look for foods that could be prepared by simply adding water (Being that we don't have a camping grill, and all that we're bringing is our Jet Boil, we can't get very creative in the way of meals. :)).  The problem with that is that most of the prepackaged foods here require additional ingredients for the preparation... Ingredients that we most definitely will not have with us while camping! :)  So, I have literally spent the past few days, standing in the aisles of grocery stores, trying to translate the preparation directions on the backs of all the packages... Oh, what fun that was! :) After spending what seemed like hours standing in grocery stores and translating directions, I am quite pleased to announce that I managed to find quite a variety of foods to take with us...  Not only do we have prepackaged foods, but we also have bags of trail mix, cereal, granola bars, cans of soup, and lots of peanut butter and jelly (I foresee alot of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in our future! :)).   I can now officially check that off of my list! :)

On that note, I'm off to run a few errands...  I'm posting a few pictures at the end of this blog for you to check out.  We've been having some crummy weather here for the past couple of days... bleh!  However, Brian managed to catch some of it on camera and the pictures turned out really well, so I wanted to share them with you... Enjoy!  Miss you much!

The food supplies for our trip... :)

One of the plants in our garden after the storm...



I love this one! :)

You can see how hard the wind was blowing just by looking at the waves and the trees!

No comments: