Ok, so I've officially declared this year as the year of the Christmas markets! Being that next year we will be living back in the U.S. during the holidays, my goal is to take advantage of as many Christmas markets as possible this year. And, let me just say, I think I've done rather well! :)
I don't know what it is about Christmas markets exactly, but I can't seem to get enough of them! I love the excitement and anticipation of the holiday season that can be felt throughout the cities and villages, the quaint German buildings, the smell of roasted chestnuts, grilled rotwurst, and gluhwein that fills the air, the homey little stands set up to sell their wares, the sounds of laughter and the smiles on everyone's faces, and the brisk winter chill that can only be cured with a mug of gluhwein. They definitely put me into the holiday spirit! :)
This year, our first stop on the Christmas market tour was in the city of Rothenburg. I visited the city last year during this time, and I simply fell in love with it! It's considered to be the town of eternal Christmas and it is home to one of the oldest Christmas markets in Germany... Dating all the way back to the 15th century! Brian and I spent the afternoon wandering through the cobblestone streets, exploring the Christmas market, and doing a little Christmas shopping (Yep, we brought home quite a fun little present for ourselves too! :))... It was such a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon! Here's a quick recap of our day in Rothenburg...

The Square where the Christmas market is held...

Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany... So cute! :)


Our first mug of gluhwein this season... Yay! :)


Oh, how I love nutcrackers!! :)


After our big Christmas purchase... Let's just say that lugging that big ole box around the city was not so much fun! :)


Peek-A-Boo! :)
The City Walls that surround Rothenburg... They are all still intact and you can walk around them to get a great view of the city.




The infamous Kathe Wohlfahrt store... You can find handcrafted Christmas ornaments and gifts in this store. The inside is decorated to look like a Christmas village... It even consists of life-size nutcrackers, pyramids, etc... Amazing! :)

A view of the tower overlooking the city...
The following day we headed to Meckenbeuren to check out their medieval themed Christmas market... And, as usual, fun times were had by all! :)

The whole crew... Attempting to stay warm! :)



1 comment:
Amazing pictures.....love that place and the Christmas markets! I miss Gluhwein! It's great to be back in USA but lets face Germany does a great Christmas!
Post a Comment